Tuesday, May 19, 2009

El Maleno



Indios of Ciudad Juarez began their season with an uphill relegation dog-fight but managed to avoid the drop and even clinched qualification to the league playoffs in the last match day. Julio Daniel “Maleno” Frias is the clubs unlikely hero.

When I first heard Frias name mentioned I thought he was a third rate South American player found in the lower leagues. Frias, however, is from the ravaged city of Juarez where he claims to have been involved in drugs and gangs.

“I had to abandon the things I used to be involved with in order to take care of my son,” said Frias who worked in construction before landing in Indios. “I am used to the troubled city, I live with that, most of my teammates are afraid to go outside,” explained Frias who maintains a great relationship with the locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment