Monday, November 16, 2009

Staring at the Sea




Angelica: What's the matter?
Vergara: It's over. It's all over.

Angelica: I wanna ask you something important, and I want you to tell me the truth.

Vergara: What?
Angelica: Why'd you come here?

Vergara: I just don't want it no more.
Angelica: If it's over cos you want it to be, I'm glad. - I do.

Angelica: It's just, you've never quit anything since I've known you.
Vergara: I don't know what you want me to say. I mean, what happened? How did everything that was so good get so bad?

Angelica: What's so bad? Tell me. What?
Vergara: I wrecked everything by not thinking for myself. Why couldn't Nestor tell me where it was really at from the start? He didn't have to carry me and lie and make me think I was better than I was.

Vergara: You wake up one day thinking you're a winner, but you're not. You're a loser. Nothing is real if you don't believe in who you are. I don't believe in myself no more! When a fighter don't believe, he's finished. That's it.

Angelica: That's not it. Why don't you tell me the truth?

Vergara: What are you puttin' me through? You wanna know the truth? I don't wanna lose what I got. At first, I didn't care about what happened. I'd go in the stadium, get bust up. But now there's you and the kids. I don't wanna lose what I got!

Angelica: What do we have that can't be replaced? What? A house. We got cars, money. We got everything but the truth. What's the truth, dammit?!

Vergara: I'm afraid! All right? You wanna hear me say it? You wanna break me down? I'm afraid. For the first time, I'm afraid.

Angelica: I'm afraid too. There's nothin' wrong with that.

Vergara: There is. For me, there is.
Angelica: Why? You're human.

Vergara: I don't know what I am. I know I'm a liar, and because of that, Nestor ain't here.

Angelica: You didn't push him into anything. He was a grown man. He did what he had to do. And you have no right to feel guilty. You don't! You were a champion. You did what you were expected to do. You did what everybody thought you should do. And you wanna tell me that those coaches weren't real? I don't believe it!

Angelica: It doesn't matter what I believe. You've got to carry that fear inside you, afraid everybody'll take things away, that you'll be remembered as a coward, that you're not a man any more. Well, none of it's true. It doesn't matter if I tell you because you're the one that's got to settle it.

Get rid of it! Cos when the smoke clears, and they stop chanting your name, it's just gonna be us. And you can't live like this. We can't live like this. Cos it's gonna bother you for the rest of your life. Look what it's doing to you now.

Lebrija thinks you can do it. So do I.But you gotta wanna do it for the right reasons. Not for the guilt over Nestor. Not for the people, not for the title, not for money, or me - but for you. Just you. Just you alone.

Vergara: And if I lose?
Angelica: Then you lose. But at least you lose with no excuses. No fear. And I know you could live with that.

Vergara: How'd you get so tough?
Angelica: I live with a Taquero.

No comments:

Post a Comment