Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mexican League Predictions




Before the start of the 2009 Apertura season I had been asked to contribute to a Goal.com article with league predictions. Each writer had been asked to make three predictions. The first one being which team would Fail; for which I choosed Atlas. The Rojinegros were one of the worst teams of the season finishing in 15th and eventually sacked Antonio Lavolpe. The Argie was the main reason I choosed Atlas as I feel that he has been on a epic downfall since leaving the Mexican national team.

The second prediction asked for which team would be the surprise of the season. I went with Tigres UANL because of Daniel Guzman and players like Gaston "La Gata" Fernandez. While Tigres got off to a promising start: winning the 2009 Superliga tourney they only managed to finish the season in 10th place. The real surprise of the season without a doubt has been the Tomas Boy led Monarcas Morelia.

The final prediction asked to choose the eventual league Champion. I went with Cruz Azul which are still in the running to capture the Apertura Championship. La Maquina have already disputed three finals, two league and one Interliga, which they all lost. The main diffrence this time around is a good coach in Enrique Meza and a quality keeper in Jesus Corona. The diffrence maker, however, will lie in Tito Villa who has become one of the leagues best strikers. I have not been paying much attention to the liguilla but needless to say my money remains with Cruz Azul.

2 comments: