Monday, August 31, 2009

Super Plastico



I would like to pretend that I care for the Chivas USA vs. Los Angeles match up but that is no longer the case. The L.A derby, the only derby in MLS, was one of the few games that would take me to the Home Depot Center. However, that no longer happens as I find myself detaching from the Chivas franchise with each passing season.

For starters the fact that the matchup gets named the Honda Super Clasico even before the two team’s even play a single game pissed me off. I believe Honda has since dropped off as sponsors but the game keeps being marketed as the Super Cassico with a nifty trophy awarded to the winner of the three or four game series. Regardless, the rivalry is far from being a Super Clasico.

A Super Clasico is the type of game that divides a country in half, it is a game between the two most popular teams, and lines are drawn. Important events and games are settled during Super Clasico's; all of which are still lacking from MLS version of the mother of all league games.

Another important factor of a Super Clasico is the number of important matches disputed by the rivals. Chivas and Galaxy have yet to meet in Championship finals; granted the rivalry is only four years old. Still, there has been no reason to market a fledging rivalry as a Super Classico that is only deceiving the fans. I have no doubt that the L.A derby can become a great matchup but we are still a few years away from that to happen

And the main reason I have been staying away from the Super Plastico has been the Home Depot Center front office which have banned the Union Ultras and Legion 1908 from using flags and fireworks; pretty much terminating any real passion present in the stadium to ensure MLS remain a mom and pop league. Match atmosphere is a very important aspect to the game take that away and I would rather watch the game at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment